Re: Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/11/03-08:35:43 PM Z

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Carl Weese wrote:

> It's sounding like wire side/felt side isn't really helpful terminology
> except in cases where one side actually retains an embossed screen texture.

A friend was here today with some small prints on Stonehenge, which she
did on the "wrong" side, because the "right" side had more texture than
she wanted. But the last time I had a whole sheet of Stonehenge in hand,
it had no watermark. She's learned to tell the difference, but we really
had to look with the loupe to see it -- and this paper had been wet, so
presumably was as "rough" both sides as it was going to get.

I recall also that one of the most expert gum printers I've ever met said
he printed on the *wrong* side of BFK. BFK has a watermark, but that's one
I can tell without a loupe -- you really can see a "mechanical" weave, tho
moastly up close.

Judy