Re: Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/11/03-07:44:41 AM Z

> I know from solid experience that I don't like a
> wire screen pattern in my print.

Another variable in either terminology or actual manufacturing. Some
watercolor papers seem to have a clear wire-screen imprint pattern on one
side. Platine, which is a watercolor-style paper, shows an extremely fine
but unmistakable wire-screen pattern on its smoother side, which is the side
the watermark reads right. It's so fine it's seldom objectionable, but can
interfere with bright smooth-tone print areas.

I use printmaking papers rather than watercolor papers most of the time.
Lenox, Stonehenge White, and Folio are three printmaking papers I use a lot.
Each has a clear 'front/back' (at least after they've been wet and dried)
but neither side looks like an impression of a wire screen. The back looks
nappy, like the back of Platine, the front has a texture or tooth but the
texture does not look like screening. No watermark. If I had to describe the
finished print surface of these papers I'd say it's three different versions
of "eggshell." If you handed a sheet of these papers to someone and said
"there's a wire side and a felt side, which is which?" most people would
guess backwards because neither side looks like wire but felt sounds
smoother.

It's sounding like wire side/felt side isn't really helpful terminology
except in cases where one side actually retains an embossed screen texture.

---Carl