Re: Books and CDs on Photoshop

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/12/03-09:35:54 PM Z

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 satgre@att.net wrote:
> If you thought that Classrom in a box was bad, I bought both Photoshop 4
> Classroom in a book and Advanced Classroom in a book. I think that they were
> $38 each on Amazon or Buy.com. The Advanced book more or less repeated
> everything in the "basic" book. the examples were different but new subject
> matter was not covered.
>
> I was so disgusted by the book that I contacted the publish, pointed out several
> technical errors, and told them that they should be ashamed of the book. After
> my email/letter/discussion (I have forgotten what I did), they refunded my
> purchase price.
>
> Another (ultimately) satisfied customer.
>
> Stuart

Good for you ! As I recall, BTW (I can't check because I mulched the
book, gave it to the NYC paper recyclers) the publisher of that Photoshop
"classroom" was something to do with Adobe, if not Adobe itself. When tech
support at Adobe recommended this *great* guide.... they failed to mention
that fact... which I didn't notice until later.

So I find myself slipping into nostalgia, I fight it -- but in fact 10 or
15 years ago the manuals that came with software were pretty good. You
could learn the program quite nicely from them. I have bought a couple of
highly recommended 3rd party manuals this year (both David Pogue, system 9
& 10), but they were at best fair. That is mostly, or too much, going gee
whiz about trivia. For instance, pages of cutesy stuff about the kinds of
voices and accents and "funny" sayings you could get from your Mac alert.
I just wanted to find out how to turn the voices off. He never did tell
that, though I finally extrapolated from a few hints & managed.

J.