RE: getting more contrast out of pt/pd developer

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 01/12/03-09:53:55 PM Z

Alan, You can indeed increase contrast with a dilute developer. And
yes, you will see more grain. Most contrast increasing methods increase
grain to some degree if done during printing. Are you using Pot Ox as
your developer? This can be diluted about a 1/3 before grain becomes to
much of an issue. The paper and other factors will of course determine
just how grainy. I have not seen unpredictable results due to dilution
of a developer. You will of course need to run some exposure test, but
you will get consistent results. You will need to add exposure time to
make up for a weaker developer. 15 to 25% would not be uncommon.

Try a different developer? More platinum? A different platinum? The
ammonium based platinum will increase your contrast over Potassium based
platinum.

And the big question is, "Just how much contrast are you looking to
add?"
Carl's suggestion of selenium should not be over looked as a good way to
bring up a close but not quite there negative. This however, requires
that you have a good clean negative; not all scratched up as the toner
will work unevenly on a scratched emulsion.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226