Ode to Joyful View

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 01/14/03-03:25:15 PM Z

DEAR JEFF,
    That must have been wonderful! Don't you just love magic?
    Something similar happened to me in the wilds of Manhattan on a fashion
shoot for Essence Magazine...seriously! And I was only using a
Hasselblad...no view camera!
    I had just found an English translation of the original words to
Schiller's poem which is the libretto for the Fourth Movement of Beethoven's
9th Symphony...known as the Ode to Joy. I remember being so moved by it.
Around 7 am on a spring morning a few days later I was waiting for the crew
to finish make up and hair in the location van at Bethesda Fountains in
Central Park so I took a stroll. The air was cool and filled with the smell
of green things coming to life. The light was soft and golden. I found
myself wandering up 'Poet's Walk" and was floored by seeing a bust of
Schiller! I thought this was strange considering my recent discovery of the
translation. When I returned to the van out came Susan Taylor (editor) and
just as I was about to say "Hi" music erupted over Central Park and a
baritone voice boomed, "O Freunde!" and the Ode to Joy continued to float
and echo over that spring morning. Of course the logical explanation was
that the Metropolitan Opera was in the Sheep Meadow rehearsing for the Opera
in the Park starting that week...but that didn't diminish the magic of
words, vision of Schiller's bust, and magnificent music on a soft spring
morning in Central Park.
    I think we should all be grateful to be able to work at something that
brings beauty to the rest of the world and returns it to us in so many ways.
                        CHEERS FROM BARBADOS!
                            BOB