Re: A list administration suggestion

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 01/16/03-03:10:22 PM Z

Hi:

An email program should be able to sort with the To line or the Reply To
line. These are unique and not used by any other mailing list.

Putting tags really clutters up the index listings (I agree with Katherine
Thayer)

If your email program can't filter appropriately, please consider using an
email program that better meets your needs. (I filter with procmail and
read with pine)

Gord Holtslander
List Manager

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Marco Milazzo wrote:

> A modest suggestion:
>
> Messages on this list seem to come from individual members -- for instance,
> "From: Judy Seigel," or "From: Carl Weese," etc., and therefore end up in
> our general "Inbox" along with all the other email we receive.
>
> Other lists I'm on include an identifying "tag" in their address or subject
> line which allows you to up a rule in most email programs which
> automatically directs incomming messages to a special folder. This makes it
> much easier to keep up with reading that list.
>
> For instance, messages from the Large Format list are tagged [large format]
> in the subject line so they automatically go to a special folder where I can
> read them together, and follow particular threads.
>
> Can this list include some simple identifying tag like [alt-photo] in either
> the "From" or "Subject" lines? I think it would help organize things for
> all of us.
>
> Marco
> El Paso

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2