Re: Vandyke brownprints - silvery deposit

rurmonas@senet.com.au
Date: 01/17/03-03:40:23 AM Z

Quoting Neil Miller <neil@miller.gioserve.com>:

> I have recently started making vandyke brownprints and am having a problem
> with a silvery deposit over part of the image, not unlike that often seen on
> old b&w photos. It occurs about 70% of the time and is most apparent on
> darker areas of the print and on papers I have double-coated (which usually
> exhibit a silvery or white line where the top coat has not overlapped the
> bottom coat).
>
> It appears to be a very fine layer of sparkling crystal deposits that is not
> only on the surface of the paper, but trapped within the upper fibres. It is
> more pronounced on papers with a rough surface, but is still very apparent of
> BFK and Saunders Waterford. The only paper that does not have a trace of the
> problem is Daler 96gsm smooth white cartridge from an artists sketchpad, but
> this is too thin and wrinkle-prone for me to process succesfully.

I saw an effect like this on the very first step wedge test print I did
in VDB. It occurred in the very over exposed areas, about 2 stops
more than required for "maximum density". I did not investigate
the cause of this, but suspect it is a further stage of chemical
reaction.

My guess would be that your coated paper is "going off" due to the long
drying time. May I suggest you try a shorter drying time, and avoid heat.
I use a small fan to blow room temperature air across the coated
paper. It only take 15 - 20 minutes to dry. I then expose shortly
after it has dried.

Richard

---
Richard Urmonas