RE: coating albumen

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/22/03-12:45:23 AM Z

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Breukel, C. (HKG) wrote:

> I guess I am repeating something you (and your friend) already know; but
> coating albumen is traditionally/usually done by floating the paper on the
> albumen/salt solution, and is sensitised the same way with SilverNitrate.
> AFAIK brushing is much harder to do (imposible in my hands, though I tried
> it once or twice). Coating by floating isn't tto hard, but does require
> relative large volumes.

Hi Cor,

He's decided to brush the silver nitrate, and I don't blame him -- a tray
takes an awful lot of volume and in its own way more mess. Christopher
James says the same thing, by the way -- that floating takes too much
solution. It also turns out to be more complicated. For instance, Mike
Robinson talks about replenishing, and kaolin to prevent measles, and once
you start replenishing you don't really know what strength you've got, so
all your values are up for grabs...etc. From here anyway it really does
look like brush coating or hand coating are on balance simpler.

Robinson also says float your 8x10 paper on 250 cc of 12% solution. Could
you float paper on 250 cc in an 8x10 tray? My experience with tray float
is you need about a half inch so it doesn't hit bottom... either way
sounds the trickier route.

Actually, friend is doing pretty well, except more spoiled coats than
he likes, tho from what I read, even tray float has many mystery faults.
(Has anyone heard of Dick George? I found a nice paper on the topic by
him in my file -- looks like it probably came from the list a long time
ago -- can't believe I didn't make a note of who or how. Anyway, if he is
to be believed, the medium is not & never has been so simple.)

So I gather that no one has used the "magic brush" for albumen ?... It may
be time...

thanks Jack about the blanchard brush.... sorry I mixed you up with Sandy
-- it's probably the San part, I was thinking Sandy instead of
Sanfrancisco.

But when you say a "pile" fabric, is that something like a plush? That's
in style now, so should be possible to find. Of course I had to walk 2
miles to get a stitch ripper when my old one disappeared (maybe into the
cracks between the floor boards ?). All our old fabric & sewing stores
are gone -- replaced by tattoo parlors and so forth. But lower Broadway,
probably nearly at Chambers Street, still has several good & complete
fabric and "finding" stores, probably servicing some garment area sweat
shops, so maybe around for a while, we hope.

cheers,

Judy