RE: coating albumen

From: Eric Nelson (emanmb@yahoo.com)
Date: 01/22/03-02:50:47 AM Z

For anyone doing any serious amount of albumen
printing, i would recommend folowing Reilly's methods.
 The volume isn't that hard to maintain and doing a
titration analysis once every 100 or 200 prints is no
fun but worth the effort.
My Silver Nitrate solution is in a clear glass milk
bottle w/a 2 hole stopper for the glass tubing to
"blow" out the solution as illustrated in Reilly's
book. The Kaolin rests on the bottom of this bottle
and I can shake it up anytime the solution starts to
get brown.
I followed Reilly's instruction for the titration
analysis of the solution and it worked fine. I would
do it twice to make sure I didn't screw up. Gawd knows
I'm no chemical engineer but can understand these
fundamentals. A calculator is necessary to do the
math though.
Also the rule of thumb of replenishing the solution w/
24% silver nitrate works fine too for a while until
it's time to analize the solution when things aren't
working as they should.
Silver nitrate is cheap too
Eric