Re: Vandyke brownprints - silvery deposit

From: Neil Miller (neil@miller.gioserve.com)
Date: 01/22/03-02:57:14 AM Z

Hello Judy,
Yes, I am in the UK. Just a bit of background to my stock of brown(green!)
and green(green!) FAC....

I started making cyanotypes - with some success - after subscribing to your
wonderful journal. After a lot of reading about this and other processes I
began to wonder why my FAC was a brownish/burnt-orange colour, although it
said green on the label. I arranged with the supplier to send a sample back
for testing. Supplier sent it to manufacturer, manufacturer tested it, gave
it the thumbs up, said it was green in type if not in colour and furthermore
they often made FAC of a range of colours between distinctly brown through
to green depending on where they purchased the raw supplies from. It was
all "green," though. Sounds a bit suspect, doesn't it?!

Anyway, just for reassurance I ordered a new lot from another supplier and
it turned out to be a faint lime green colour, which I thought was more in
keeping with the description on the bottle and which I now use exclusively.
I still have some of the older stuff left and I will try that out and let
you know.

I wish I knew how to test the tartaric acid, but I'm not too well-up on
things chemical - if you know a simple test I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Neil.