Re: OT;Bellows repair

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 01/27/03-08:56:02 AM Z

I've used Elastoseal on pinholes for a 4x5 press camera I use
occasionally. Being impatient, I just bought a can at the local Home
Depot (large hardware and paint store). It worked, and has remained fine
for years of infrequent use. The stuff stays sticky for ever, not a
classy feature on a nice camera.

A far better solution is to get a new set of bellows made. I've use
Western Bellow when my main 4x5 studio camera bellows went bad. I was
very satisfied. 909-980-0606 (California) westernbellows@aol.com I don't
think they have a website. Replacing the bellows is a far classier,
simpler to use (no sticking) and more relaxing (no worries about the old
holes opening up) answer.

If you don't want to replace now and can't find Elastoseal local look to
scuba diving shops. The stuff they use to patch wetsuits is reported to
be about the same stuff.

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 08:05 AM, Breukel, C. (HKG) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just obtained this wondeflull 8*10 Toyo field camera, but
> unfortunatly is
> the bellows leaky. At the horizontal seam (I mean the place were the
> bellows
> are joined) a cm or so is coming apart: I guess that should not be too
> hard
> too repair, but what kind of glue should I use?
>
> Perhaps more difficult are a lot of small pinholes in the corners of the
> folds, is you look close at these places, you'll see that the rubberlike
> overcoat is gone.
>
> How should one repair these?
>
> I did remember that Dick Sullivan recommanded someing which is used to
> repair the roof of houses, called Elastoseal (diging in the archives I
> found
> info form 1999). He even sold the stuff in smaller cans, but could not
> find
> it on his catalogue.
>
> Do people have experience with this stuff?
>
> Ideas and feedback on these problems appreciated!
>
> Best,
>
> Cor

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com