Re: OT;Bellows repair

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 01/27/03-05:54:19 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@lumc.nl>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 8:05 AM
Subject: OT;Bellows repair

> Hi,
>
> I just obtained this wondeflull 8*10 Toyo field camera,
but unfortunatly is
> the bellows leaky. At the horizontal seam (I mean the
place were the bellows
> are joined) a cm or so is coming apart: I guess that
should not be too hard
> too repair, but what kind of glue should I use?
>
> Perhaps more difficult are a lot of small pinholes in the
corners of the
> folds, is you look close at these places, you'll see that
the rubberlike
> overcoat is gone.
>
> How should one repair these?
>
> I did remember that Dick Sullivan recommanded someing
which is used to
> repair the roof of houses, called Elastoseal (diging in
the archives I found
> info form 1999). He even sold the stuff in smaller cans,
but could not find
> it on his catalogue.
>
> Do people have experience with this stuff?
>
> Ideas and feedback on these problems appreciated!
>
> Best,
>
> Cor
  I've never had much luck with patching bellows. When a
bellows starts developing pin holes its because some
component is disintegrating and you will have more holes
with time. About the only really satisfactory solution is a
new bellows. I am appending a list of bellows makers below.
I've had experience with Flexible Products in Fla and don't
recommend them. While the bellows they made for my 8x10
Agfa/Ansco camera are servicable I was not much impressed by
the workmanship. The English bellows company seems to be the
only one who will make genuine leather bellows, if that is
desired. They also have an excellent reputation. I've not
seen their work. I have seen bellows made by Western
Bellows, they were excellent.
  Any bellows maker will want the old bellows as a pattern
or at least the old frames.

Camera Bellows
Unit 3-5
St. Pauls Road