Re: Making your own curves for home-brewed digital negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/28/03-01:11:58 AM Z

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Michael Healy wrote:
> The problem as I understand it, in a nutshell, is the "curve" so many people
> keep talking about. This curve runs from 0% in steps of gray by 5%
> increments of 5-10-15% up to 100%. If you print this out or eyeball it on
> your PC screen, it will show the shades of gray in incremental grades. This
> is the curve you're messing with when you go into PS and do

Michael, I read but don't remember Palmer's article in detail... so
perhaps this point is moot. But if you're going to make curves with
Photoshop, you probably go up 0%, 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. to 90%, 95% &
100 %, or a total of 13 steps, since that's the way the transfer function
is structured.

> ....Burkholder argues, in fact, that with curves,
> you can conceivably create a platinum neg, a cyanotype neg, and a kallitype
> neg, all from the same scan.

No "conceivably" about it -- a piece of cake. And gum negatives too, for
that matter...

But I fear your/Palmer's explanation is otherwise over my head.

J.