Re: Acros Films

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 01/28/03-10:59:34 PM Z

Scott Wainer wrote:

>My mainstay is landscape/architecture and I find the catechol gives
>sharper/grainless images when diluted 1:1:400 using stand-development
>between 50-90 minutes. The edge effects and stain combine for a look that I
>find pleasing and the highlights don't "block" up. I used Rodinal,
>D-76/ID-11, X-tol, and Chris Patton's E-76 (Phenidone/Ascorbic Acid based)
>but found that they produced "less-sharp" images (the sod. sulfite content)
though the grain was generally "fine" (except Rodinal).

One of the main reasons I developed Pyrocat was to experiment with
stand development so your comments are very interesting. But my work
with stand development has been a really mixed bag. With roll film I
have had really good success and have managed to make negatives that
have really extraordinary apparent sharpness because of the adjacency
effect. However, developing this way is always something of a crap
shoot because of 12 frames one or two or almost sure to be ruined by
some type of uneven development. And sheet film haw been even more
problematic.

So, I would be very interested in hearing more of your specific
working procedures with stand development.

Sandy King