Acros Films

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 01/28/03-10:43:11 PM Z

> I use Acros with dilute metol-ascorbate developer whose pH adjusted to
> 9.8, and usually at an EI of 64. I don't use catechol or
> pyrogallol. I'm about to start using a different one for actual
> pictures (not step tablet or backyard scene), hoping to take a big
> break from developer experiments.
>
> I use Acros for nightscape and similar subject matters, so I need to
> stock it anyway; I'm phasing out TMX and APX25 when they are used
> up. APX25 is very nice, but I'm happy with TMX or Acros.

My mainstay is landscape/architecture and I find the catechol gives
sharper/grainless images when diluted 1:1:400 using stand-development
between 50-90 minutes. The edge effects and stain combine for a look that I
find pleasing and the highlights don't "block" up. I used Rodinal,
D-76/ID-11, X-tol, and Chris Patton's E-76 (Phenidone/Ascorbic Acid based)
but found that they produced "less-sharp" images (the sod. sulfite content)
though the grain was generally "fine" (except Rodinal).

I do not like the look of images from Kodak films so I generally shoot Agfa
or Ilford. I recently bought Arista (Freestyle), very nice images, which is
said to be manufactured by "one of the world's foremost manufacturers in
England"; I only know of one manufacturer that fits that description -
Ilford. The price was about half of what I was paying for Ilford films at
the local camera store (even with shipping).

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net

catch you all tomorrow