Re: first gums

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 01/29/03-10:17:01 AM Z

Lisa Reddig wrote:

> > for a gum print, 4x5 IS small. Which is to say, don't make a
> > HEAP of 4x5 negs in advance.
> >
> > J.
> >

> Is there any process in which 4x5 isn't considered small.
>
> Lisa "8x10 is too big for me" Reddig

Hi Lisa,
I've made gum prints down to 2x3" that were quite fine, in fact that
2x3" print was chosen for a juried group show and more than one person
told me they thought it was the strongest piece in the show. So don't
let anyone discourage you from making 4x5" gum prints; you can make
contact prints from in-camera 4x5 negatives that are very nice. The
limiting factor as far as resolving the tiniest details will be the
texture of the paper, not anything in the gum process itself, which is
why I was complaining about the wire texture on the smooth side of most
hotpress watercolor papers a couple of weeks ago.
Katharine Thayer