Re: Acros Films

From: Ryuji Suzuki (RSuzuki@MIT.EDU)
Date: 01/29/03-06:03:04 PM Z

From: Scott Wainer <smwbmp@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: Acros Films
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:31:36 -0500

> I tend to enlarge 35mm negs from
> 8x10 to 16x20 (or even 20x24) and, for me, Pyrocat can't be beat (yet?) in
> the "visual" areas. I fully agree with you where LF (4x5) is concerned;
> primarily because of the degree of enlargement.

I use mostly 6cm, but I also use 35mm occasionally. In all formats, I
love rangefinder cameras and rarely use SLR. Also, my workhorse Mamiya
6 has only 3 lenses available, I often have to make tight crop. This
is even more true with original Konica Hexar (35mm f/2.0). I routinely
blow these up to 11x14 and I don't want to see grain unless I use it
for some effect.

> As for ascorbate film developers, I tend to lump them with the PQ/MQ
> developers.

However, the chemistry of hydroquinone and ascorbate is very different.

> The "thickened" developer sounds interesting; I haven't heard of it before.
> Could it be used with a developer like Pyrocat? I might like to try it with
> 4x5 film using the dip-n-dunk method. How would the developer react to
> gelatin or gum arabic as the thickening agent (I don't have any
> methylcellulose handy)?

I suppose it can be done with pyrocat, but I did not try it. I suggest
you use a good replenishing developer because one shot use is VERY
wasteful with this approach. Replenishing developers are not as
inconsistent as some books (and many people) talk about, if used
wisely. (Indeed, it's very consistent in my experience.)

I wouldn't use gelatin. If removal is not complete and you realize
after drying, you are in trouble. Methylcellulose works well. (It's
used as athickening agent in some shampoo, etc.)

Ryuji