Re: photographs on concrete

stwang1@bellsouth.net
Date: 01/30/03-09:59:37 AM Z

Shannon,

Wish I could have seen that.

My guess is that some kind of photo-mechanical process was involved. How detailed
were the images and what kind of color/tonality? The most likely way to do it would be
silkscreen. Another way is to use photo-resist, and then sandblast or some other way to
apply colors.

The commercially availabl photo resist uses pretty toxic chemicals, not an option for folks
who have chemical phobias. But there is a very simple way of doing it with stuff you have
on hand: apply a layer of dichromated gelation to the surface. Dry. Expose under
negative. Wash off with hot water. Dry. Brush on acryllic color of your choice. Blow dry.
Remove gelatine with Chlorox and rinse.

Obviously you won't get fine details with this method. Not on concrete anyway. And you
would probably need to "halftone" your image somehow unless you just want a bold two
tone image, or repeat it enough times to build a posterized image. But the result could be
very permanent. A guy who used this technicque on aluminum plates received a "genius
grant" for it a few years back.

Sam Wang