Re: Stand Development

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 01/30/03-06:15:36 PM Z

Hi Cor,

The reason for not providing concrete development times/film speeds in my
post is that I use many different films, formats, cameras, lenses, meters,
ect... To list all of the development times/film speeds for all the
combinations I use would require download times approaching infinity. An
example of what I mean is that with Ilford Delta 100 and a Canon A2 I use 6
different lenses, have 6 different EI ratings, and 6 different development
times for using Pyrocat at 1:1:100. Add to that my using a 4x5 camera with 3
lenses and a, soon to be, Mamiya 645 with 2 lenses and I already have 11 EI
ratings and development times (which vary widely) for just one film and one
developer dilution. Change to a 1:2:100 dilution, each EI rating and each
development time also changes. So you can see why I didn't list specifics.

As for starting points, I recommend looking at the times for PMK (see
www.digitaltruth.com ) and begin testing from there (see my testing method
outlined in my last post - below). After switching to Pyrocat and finally
getting a working method of testing (thanks again to Sandy and the list) I
am working through the process of figuring out all the EI ratings and
development times for each combination I use; currently I have 36 done.

A quick way, if it works for you, would be to use stand development
exclusively. That way you would not have to worry about "correct" times or
film speeds as much. The only drawback is that you do not have the control
you would have if you tested each combination.

My statement about what works for one person won't work for another means
that because my situation (cameras, lenses, films, formats, ect... ) is
different from yours, what works for me won't work for you (90+% of the
time).

Hoping this help,

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net