Re: Ruined negatives

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 01/31/03-07:02:53 PM Z

Catherine wrote:

>>>I very seldom post any questions but I ruined 8 negatives this
>>>afternoon and do not know what happened. I use BTZS tubes to
>>>develop my 4X5 negatives in PMK and have had no probelems until
>>>today. I was developing TriX and FP4 as I always do. For stop bath
>>>I use water and for fixer I use TF-4. Today when I put the
>>>negatives in the fixer each one had a wide strip down the middle
>>>that did not develop, sometimes clear and sometimes with a faint
>>>image. Also the negatives had a pink cast to them that I have
>>>never seen. Could either the PMK solution A or B been contaminated
>>>in some way? If anybody can help I know it wil be someone on this
>>>list. I always learn so much here. Thanks a bunch!
>
> Catherine Costolo

Is there any possibility that you may have reversed the expected
orientation of the negatives in the BTZS tubes, i.e. put them in the
tubes with the emulsion facing the wall of the tubes? This could
explain the large area down the center that did not develop since
that part of the negative would have been in contact with the wall of
the tube, and therefore denied contact with the developing solution.
I did this once and the result was very similar to what you describe.

Sandy King