Re: a measuring question

From: Wayne Bowdish (wbowdish@mountaincable.net)
Date: 07/01/03-12:03:31 PM Z

Philippe is right - I have my copy of the 'Cookbook' in front of me and it has gram/teaspoon equivalents for about 30 chemicals.
Info has also been posted to the list in years gone by, some of which I've noted saved.
The equivalents I use mostly are (don't remember who posted this but thanks):

Approximate Weight to Volume Ratios of a Few Chemicals
(how many grams in tablespoons or teaspoons of dry chemicals)
Chemical (in grams) 1 tbsp 1/2 tbsp 1 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/8 tsp
ferric ammonium citrate 12.5g 6.2 4.1 2.0 1.0 0.50
potassium dichromate 22.0g 11.5 7.9 4.1 2.2 1.1
potassium ferricyanide 15.5g 8.0 5.5 2.8 1.5 0.8
silver nitrate 41.0g 20.7 13.8 7.0 3.6 1.8
sodium thiosulfate 18.0g 9.0 6.0 3.0 1.5 0.75
tartaric acid 12.6g 6.3 4.2 2.1 1.1 0.5

Note that you will often find different values quoted. I assume that there are differences because of moisture content, manufacturing technique, crystal size and who-knows what else. For example, potassium ferricyanide is quoted as 15.5 grams per tablespoon above, 16 grams per tbsp in the 'Cookbook' and when I weighed mine a couple of months ago to check some course notes I was preparing came up with 16.4 grams per tbsp.

Devra
If there is a specific substance you need to know about let me know and I'll check the 'Cookbook'