Re: a measuring question

From: Yu rei (nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp)
Date: 07/02/03-05:17:45 AM Z

   Devra Goldberg からのメッセ・踉札検?

is it at all possible to convert grams to, say,teaspoons
for those of us who don't have a beam balance for dry
chemistry measurements?

No, it is not.

Clear?

Now that that is said and done with, Devra, I feel for you
and all who must work in less than adequate conditions. So
I will make a fool of myself by saying:

1.
It is amazing how may things weigh about the same as
water.

This is convienent since 1 tsp. water = 5 gm. and a
standard measuring cup (not a coffee cup) measures 200 ml.
(which = 200 g.)

Your rough kitchen guide:

1/4 tsp. = 1.25 g.
1/2 tsp. = 2.5 g.
3/4 tsp. = 3.75 g.
1 tsp. = 5 g.
1Tbl. = 15 g.

1/4 cup = 50 g.
1/2 cup = 100 g.
2/3 cup = 133 g.
1 cup = 200 g.

* If you know (or can locate) the specfic weight(gravity)
of the material you are measuring you could adjust up or
down as necessary, as you know that water is essentially 1
on this scale.

If you are going to be making the same amount of the same
thing over and over again , better than spoons would be
small premeasured containers (such as film canisters) but
getting just the right size, and having a scale availible
for the initial measurements are key here, as is ink that
is permenant.

2.
Kitchen utensil measurements have poor repeatability.
the example given about flour is classic... Brown sugar is
another... I have often used spoons for measuring seeds
(eg. whole anise): they are hard to measure with high
repeatability.... you can't "level" them as you can small
crystals such as sugar... each item needs to be examined
and a suitible method decided upon... for example, with
flour the standard method is to shift or "fluff up" and
measure the airy material... with Brown Sugar, one is
instructed to pack tightly before measuring.

Just think about what your goal is (repeatability) while
working out your "system".

It is really NOT a good technique, but if you have no
choice, it can be done, and is most useful in cases where
repeatabilisty is not important, as say in development by
inspection.

But are there really no other options?

More ideas:

2. Buy all chemicals in small quantities, and make up
standard concentrated solutions. Dilute as necessary.

3. Buy a cheap single hand postal scale and figure out how
to use that.

4. Ask (or make and ask) a friend at a local high school,
or university....

5. If it is a chemicial I have in stock, I could tell you
how much mine weighs...

6. Make your own "ballance"... You can figure this out by
yourself... but someone on list has probably done it
before.

HINT: A single Japanese coin, the "one yen coin" weighs
exactly 1.00 gram and I have found them to be quite
reliable, even though having been frequently handled!

Whatever you do, Smile at the Spilled Milk!

Ray