Re: Sodium carbonate "Washing soda"

From: Yu rei (nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp)
Date: 07/02/03-06:13:47 AM Z

Sil, Ryuji...

You both supplied a wealth of information. Thank you.

My question was sparked by the observation that anhydrous
sodium carbonate was less expensive than the decahydrate,
if one allowed for the weight of the water.

Since normally, if the weights of the non-aqueous part is
equilized, substances containing differing amounts of
water of crystalization, can be used interchangeably.... I
thought I should be buying the anhydrous form.

The problem was that I could find no evidence that any
other form of sodium carbonate besides the decahydrate
could and had indeed been used as "Washing Soda"

Was there a perhaps reason ?

I had thought someone on the list could just go to their
washing machine and pick up a box of "Washing Soda" and
let us know what it said.

No one did, however, so I wrote ARM & HAMMER.

For all who care, here is their answer:

Thank you for contacting us recently. Our ARM & HAMMER
ョ Super Washing Soda contains anhydrous sodium carbonate.
We hope this information is helpful.

Well, unless someone on the list NOW reads the lable amd
tells us something different is on the box or in some lab
report somewhere, I think we have closure on this.

It makes sense, too, since it is cheaper and allows
smaller packaging and smaller useage amounts.

The differing amounts of water determined by Ryuji and
mentioned by Sil, can possibly be attributed to the
anhydrous material picking up some water somewhere along
the way.

Ray