A newcomer into the alt. process world...

From: Loris Medici (lorism@tnn.net)
Date: 07/02/03-07:07:29 AM Z

I'm about to start making cyanotypes (waiting the hinged back contact
printing frame on its way to me) and AFAIK, I'm the first one trying
this in my area (Istanbul, Turkey).

I will use negatives from my 4x5" pinhole camera (film: HP5+) and also
plan to enlarge 35mm and 6x6 negatives (mostly HP5+ and FP4+) on lith
film using the procedure described at the following documents:
* http://216.195.4.24/alternativephotography/articles/art001.html
* http://rmp.opusis.com/documents/reversal4.pdf
Is there anybody who put this method in practice successfully? To what
should a newcomer pay attention in order to get ideal enlarged negatives
for the cyanotype process? Can you please pass your experiences on this
issue?

What kinds of paper should I use? In a shop near my house, I found a
190gsm acid free, optical brightener free rag watercolor paper (made in
Canada - don't remember the name/brand & mill) with a fairly smooth
surface. Is 190gsm enough for making cyanotypes? (please note that I
also plan to tone some of my cyanotypes).

What tools other than hake brushes and glass rods can be used to apply
the coating to the paper? (I don't know what a "foam brush" is - are
watercolor/oil brushes OK?)

Finally, what is your general suggestions and warnings to a newcomer? I
will be grateful to every bit of information you provide.

Thanks in advance,
Loris Medici.

P.S. I have "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes"
by Christopher James and "Coming into Focus: A Step-by-Step Guide to
Alternative Photographic Printing Processes" by John Barnier (as the
Editor)