Re: Sulfuric acid storage

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/04/03-05:05:38 AM Z

-------Original Message-------
From: Loris Medici <lorism@tnn.net>
Sent: 07/04/03 03:31 AM

>> 1) 5% sulfuric acid (actually any concentration) is safe in a
>> glass bottle. Except for various fluoric acids, all acids are
>> safe in glass. Alkalies (even a low level one such as sodium
>> carbonate) can etch glass, but not acids.

>Good to know that. I also have a glass bottle filled with 5% >Sodium Sulfide solution. Is Sodium Sulfide an alkali? (Sorry for >such basic questions, I'm no good in chemistry)

Sodium sulfide is, indeed, an alkali. Though a 5% solution may slightly etch glass, there will be no harmful effect on the solution. The only precaution is when you open the bottle, make sure you do it away from any silver compounds or sensitized materials, as well as from your nostrils, as sodium sulfide solution gives off hydrogen sulfide gas which reacts with silver and is toxic. Make sure you handle it with plenty of ventilation! -- sil