Re: lemon juice and gum printing, other questions

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/05/03-07:41:51 AM Z

> Hi Chris,
>
> One of my complaints about the old magazines was that they never or almost
> never showed work in the medium they were how-toing... so if you've got
> some that do illustrate the processes, I'd be mighy interested to see
> them. Or are they books... or annuals? Can you name some names?
>
> J.

Judy,
     Since I don't have the actual books in front of me since they're in the
rare books library, I cannot be exact, but here's my guess: J. Cruwys
Richards Gum Bichromate Process, Gum Bichromate Printing Pictorial Work of
Charles Moss, American Annual of Photography, number of years, Practical
Photographer series, book on Demachy by Jay, Photo Miniatures, in fact, I
never felt I did not have enough illustration of the work to support the
info.
     To be honest, the work is all schmaltzy from that era, so I am not
saying the subject matter thrills me, but I could certainly see from the
images how they were doing the process at that time. One or more of them
had the same image done different ways to illustrate the process.
Chris