Re: lemon juice and gum printing, other questions

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/05/03-05:30:44 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> And Sandy himself has said that you'd have to have pot di at 4.5% to match
> am di's speed at 3%, so it is not just a question of dilution.
>
> My theory is it relates to acidity and alkalinity, but I'll shut up
> with my testing.

I think you may be on the right track with this; it makes sense that the
difference in sensitivity at the same dilution may be due at least in
part to the lower pH of ammonium dichromate. Whether changing pH is the
most efficient way to alter speed, will be something you'll learn by
experimenting. But don't shut up with your testing, please, I love
reading about what you've discovered and I find your enthusiasm
refreshing and even inspiring. Seems to me there's room here for all
kinds of approaches to thinking and learning about gum.
kt