Halochrome

From: Nigel Miller (nm1@bolton.ac.uk)
Date: 07/10/03-12:00:35 PM Z

Hi

Does anybody out there know the chemical formula for the Halochrome process?

This process may be known under other names - essentially it is used to
either give a silver on black or silver on white print using conventional
black and white printing paper.

To use Halochrome you could either develop the print, then before fixing,
wash and immerse the print into the Halochrome developer before washing
again, fixing and washing. This, I think, turned the whites silver leaving
darker tones as normal.

The reverse of this was achieved by bleaching a conventionally finished
print in Halochrome bleach and then re-developing in Halochrome developer.
This turned the black tones silver leaving the lighter tones unaffected.

I hope someone out there has heard of this process as it is extremely
effective. I used to buy Halochrome in the UK from Calumet and I believe
that the makers in the USA were called Rockland, but sadly it appears that
they no longer manufacture Halochrome

Regards

Nigel Miller