RE: also digital camera question

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/10/03-12:44:29 PM Z

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 FDanB@aol.com wrote:

> I have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 (very similar to the Canon G5) and, nice as
> it is, I usually grab either the tiny Pentax Optio S or go for the
> "serious" Nikon D100. It really boils down to your shooting style, how
> big you want your prints and the kind of gadgets you covet.
>
> The one concrete trend I've noticed in my own shooting is that, the older
> I get, the less "stuff" I want to carry around. ;^)

Thanks to Dan & all for info & advice -- the Photo Techniques with Dan's
article didn't arrive yet, but pending that here are some findings which
may be of interest to others, also.

As it happens, a friend of mine who's convinced that I'm educable brought
me two gifts:

One was a pair of catalogs from B&H, the first of which has a chart of 105
digital cameras in order of megapixel size, with the number of megapixels
at the start of each blurb and the weight at the end. With this layout I
was able to focus on the fact that my FIRST criterion is weight and that I
can get a helluva lot of camera under 8 ounces. (The old Nikon FE with 35
mm lens weighs 2 pounds, so I don't carry it unless I'm "going shooting,"
which is part of the problem.)

Reading the second B&H catalog, with "text" about digital v. analog, I
figured 5 megapixels would do -- conventional wisdom is I need 6 mp for 16
by 20, but those cameras weigh more than a pound. So there are:

Yashica FineCamS5, 5 mp weighing 5.8 oz,

Konica KD 500, 5 mp weighing 6.7 oz,

Sony DSC-P10, 5 mp weighing 7.3 oz,

Olympus C-50 zoom, 5 mp weighing 8 oz,

Pentax Optio 550, 5 mp weighing 7.2 oz

and Contax TVS digital, 5 mp weighing 7.4 oz.

(Unfortunately, none of these will shoot RAW, but sobeit.)

Given Dan's recommendation for the Optio S (3.3 mp, 3.5 ounces !!!) and
having had excellent Pentax's in a past life, I'm tending toward the Optio
550, but didn't read all the fine print yet....

Meanwhile, the OTHER present was two disposable cameras, which weigh just
2 ounces each, these with 27 frames each. On his way home, friend stopped
a shooter at Sheridan Square & found his local station for developing --
Parsley/Sage, the magazine store. It seems the new machines read EACH
frame, so each print is "custom." (Probably better than I do in printing.)
Isn't it amazing?

Of course I still want the digital camera -- so I can go to the public
library and copy pages without the paper work for the copy machine -- but
meanwhile I've got the disposable in my floppy old pocket book... and,
another variables test !!!

to be continued...

Judy