pH and FUTURE

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 07/12/03-04:55:24 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
    I recently received my pH pens from Light Impressions and went a little
wild putting little lines on samples of papers, test strips, finished
prints, and mounting materials.
    I made a curious discovery. When the list was talking about acrylics
and sprays to put on Cyanos and Pt/Pd prints to yield an apparent increase
in Dmax, I tested this idea by painting FUTURE length ways on some sensi
strips of Pt/Pd coated on Cranes Platinotype and Lenox. By doing it length
ways, half of each step was unpainted and half painted with the FUTURE.
TWO OBSERVATIONS:
1) There was an "apparent" increase in density in the shadows but not very
discernable with a reflection densitometer. There was also a noticeable
increase in density in the highlights which may not be so desirable.
2) My pH pen indicated that the side unpainted with FUTURE was quite
neutral (it remained a lovely blue color) but the side painted with FUTURE
started blue and quickly changed into a yellow/orange color indicating a
definite acidity.
    I only mention this for those who are concerned about the acidity of
their finished prints and the effect it may have on longevity. It might
actually help Cyanos which will fade in a buffered environment but I am not
sure how good this is for other prints and papers which may be adversely
affected over time by acidity. I now turn this over to those on this list
more versed in these matters. Waddaya tink?
                CHEERS!
                        BOB

Please check out my website:
www.bobkiss.com