Old "Chloride Paper" Contact Printer?

From: Yu rei (nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp)
Date: 07/12/03-06:46:44 AM Z

Recently I obtained what I imagine is a contact printer...

It has a mechanical timer 0 - 60 seconds... kind of
neat... it makes an "antique" clock sound as it counts
down the seconds and it even turns the lights off at the
right moment! It has a nice system for holding the neg and
paper in contact. Forl lights, it has 6 (8?) little thumb
sized bulbs, I guess 5-10 watts each, an off center
safelight, about 4 glass shelves or layers animation
style. otherwise mostly wood.

My question is, is there anyone on the list that has used
such a device? About how old are they? When was their hey
day? When were they last produced, and regularly used?
Were they only used for gaslight papers or did many use
them for the faster enlarging papers as well?

Does anyone have instructions for one of these toys?

(yes... i can figure out the basics, but I am looking
for tips on how to use the 4 frosted glass shelves... one
of them had a thin sheet of paper... tracing paper? on
it...

Related Thouhts...

Anyone know When, and WHY the first "enlarger" came in to
being... ?

Thanks for any help!

Ray