RE: Old "Chloride Paper" Contact Printer?

From: Joachim Oppenheimer (jo.achim@verizon.net)
Date: 07/12/03-03:22:52 PM Z

I have used an 11x14 one for many years and I have seen George Tice contact
print on his smaller 8x10 size box, also a Burke & James. I believe in 1939,
as a youngster, I built my first one as a school project that didn't work
very well. The bulbs in the commercial boxes I have seen and used employ a
bank of conventional low wattage frosted bulbs. The paper used is generally
chloride - slow but with a broad tonal scale - paper that is not suitable
for enlarging. The frosted glass shelves allow for placement of scraps of
paper that act as dodging tools (Photoshop 7 users please note). These
chloride papers take selenium and gold toning extremely well. The bromide
papers were developed to allow faster speed for enlarging and - for those
who recall using them - the chlorbromide papers were a compromise between
the two that worked very well for the enlarger but a tad slower, and were
ideal for long-scaled portraits and landscapes with strikingly rich tones.
There are still some chlorobrome papers on the market, but the popular AGFA
is long gone. I have not seen the bulbs you describe but I have no doubt
that later models than I have had experience with may well have tried to
jazz up the printing speed. I never could get bromide enlarging paper to
work even when I cut the voltage down with a rheostat, but there is no real
purpose to trying to use enlarging papers - I tried the rheostat to help
prolong exposures. You are right about the azo paper, it's still available.
You may want to see View Camera Magazine May/June 1998 and March/April 2000.
I believe that Michael Smith has the paper for sale in some contrast grades
in 8x10 and 24" size. BTW, it keeps very well in the fridge and freezer.
Joachim