Re: GUM TESTING

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/13/03-06:41:03 PM Z

     Thanks, Hamish, for the encouragement.
     In reference to ammonium dichromate: I had previously posted, to a
question about gum clearing, the fact that one book said you could put the
print in the sun for a couple hours and the yellow dichromate stain would
clear out of the print. This seemed so weird, so I took a pot di and an am
di print, put half of both under a cutting board, so I could see any
difference, and put them outside for the afternoon. Interestingly, the pot
di DID disappear! But the am di didn't. The book that said this tip was
written during the time when pot bi was the di used, and (even tho I didn't
leave the print outside for a couple days) to say that sun will clear
dichromate stain is not exactly true--but close! However, it really doesn't
make a whit of dif because the potassium metabisulfite does the job to
both.Or alum, hyposulfite, sodium sulfite, etc. etc.
     What I realized from this test (seeing that I wouldn't ever leave a
precious print to the elements outside as my method of clearing choice) is
that if someone is used to pot bi (di) and makes a switch, am di "seems" to
present problems.
     I have been madly trying to crank out gum prints a la Berger to bring
to APIS for show and tell. I can't say my prints are perfect yet, but I
have come a LONNNNG way since I started working with this method. But I
would never say it was the best gum method out there, just another
possibility, and especially good to get students hooked on the process, and
then go to more complex methods later.
Chris