GUM TESTING

From: Hamish Stewart (hamish.stewart@gumphoto.demon.co.uk)
Date: 07/13/03-04:20:57 PM Z

Chris, Katherine, Sandy and others...

I have been reading with great interest the series of threads on gum
printing and I really appreciate Chris sharing her tests and thanks to
everyone who contributed to the discussions.

Reading all this has reminded me of how easy it is to accept what one reads
somewhere, or is told is the 'wrong' type of dichromate to use. What I find
particularly useful is that the recent threads answer at least for me why
some of the misconceptions may have arisen in the first place.

I started with amm dich and when I switched from using BL tubes to the sun I
did experience problems with dichromate stain. Coming across comments that
amm dich stained badly I switched to pot, which I now use with a HID metal
halide light and have no problems. Looking back to earlier prints I suspect
that the real reason for the stain was more to do with overexposure than any
inherent staining caused by the choice of dichromate.

Katherine's comments and those of others who have contributed to the
discussion have encouraged me to consider exploring amm dich again, or at
least consider using both for different effect.

I regret that I will be unable to attend APIS, which would have been a great
chance to meet up with a few other gum printers and see Stuart Melvin's
work. Hopefully next time!

Recently I have been working very intensely with a lot of new material,
whilst also shifting from wet process negative making to digital - so it has
been a busy time :-)

Thanks again for all the gum discussion

Regards
Hamish

Hamish Stewart - Gum Bichromate Photographer - visit
<http://www.gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>
for gum bichromate images, technical information and links to recommended
resources on alternative photographic processes.
mailto:<hamish.stewart@gumphoto.demon.co.uk>