Re: Chloride Paper Contact Printer - Qs &As

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 07/13/03-11:41:32 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yu rei" <nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 10:08 PM
Subject: Chloride Paper Contact Printer - Qs &As

> > Recently I obtained what I imagine is a contact
> > printer...> Best regards,
> ------
> Thanks everyone (Etienne, Carl, Richard, Rosanne, Ole)
> for the insight on how to use this thing.
>
> The lights now inside the box are indeed night-light
> type... they burn an orangish red.
>
> The box seems to be able to handle much more heat than is
> produce by these tiny things... I looked around the web
> for "argon" lamps... foud a lot of unrelated technical
> argon light info... but no bulbs for sale info...
>
> Are these still available?
> ---------------------------------------
> One last question remains unanswered... on the door that
> opens to insert and remove the frosted glass, there is a
> rather large window covered with a safe light filter...
>
> Why?
>
> Were these things operated in fully lit rooms?
> In total darkness?
> In subdued light?
>
> The only thing that comes to mind is it lets you know that
> the lights inside are (still) on!
>
> Ray

  Argon lamps were used only in a few printer boxes, mostly
the ones used by the air force to print aerial photos. The
others use standard reading lamps of around 40 to 60 watt
sizes.
   The argon lamps used in the Morse printers were made by
General Electric but were discontinued long ago. Its
difficult to find replacement lamps.
    The safelight window was mostly to show that the printer
was on. Most printing boxes don't have the safelight
window.
  Contact printing boxes were used in a darkroom with a
safelight. You can't use them in a fully lighted room
because you will fog the paper.
     Most contact printers have a small safelight lamp
inside to allow lining up the printing paper on the
negative. Its usually a low wattage ruby lamp.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com