Re: Quartz lamp

From: Nigel Miller (nm1@bolton.ac.uk)
Date: 07/14/03-11:48:50 AM Z

Hi

I have seen a lot of replies to your query that I am not qualified to
comment on but..... I can tell you what I use quite successfully for Gum,
Cyan and Salt prints etc.

I have an A1 size vacuum frame and suspended about 80cm above this I have 4
Osram 'Ultra-Vitalux' lamps 300Watt 240v (I expect/hope that there is a US
110V version). These bulbs are 'E27' fit, service life quoted as 1000 hours.

To quote from the leaflet that comes with these bulbs:

"The Ultra-Vitalux sunlamp consists of a quartz burner and a tungsten
filament which are blended in such a way that, in combination with the
special glass bulb and its interior reflector, a radiation is emitted the
effect of which is practically the same as the radiation of the natural
sun."

These bulbs are sold to us poor people in Northern Europe that suffer from
SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder), there is plenty of other blurb that comes
with them that extol there virtue in making up for the lack of natural
sunlight. As far as personal safety is concerned they suggest an exposure
time of 3 minutes at a distance of 50cm is safe for first usage rising to 14
minutes after 11 days consecutive use, but then says that you should avoid
further exposure to the lamps for 14 days.

Practically I don't worry about this I have my bulbs rigged to a timer so
once I have switched on I walk away. I usually get a good cyanotype (using
the traditional formula) in about 15 - 20 mins. My gums seem to need a
little more exposure.

I hope that this is of help.

Regards

Nigel Miller