Re: GUM TESTING/CLEARING

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/16/03-10:18:30 AM Z

The Painted Horse wrote:

> Kerik,
> Yes. They were dried for 4 days before I attempted to clear them.
> Funny thing is, is that they were made with the same print that cleared
> fine. All from the same batch of gum and all from the same day of sun
> exposure, same time etc.

You're right, it certainly is curious if they were from the same
negative, same exposure, same emulsion, same time, same everything.
But you did mention that the ones that washed away looked a bit paler
than the one that didn't, which suggests that somehow these got less
exposure though it seems like it should have been the same. (Don't ask
me how that could happen; I'm just speculating here. If you were
exposing several at a time, just as an example, the difference in how
they were positioned might affect how much exposure each got.) The thing
about gum is that gum hardens from the top down, and it's that last
little bit, the fraction of a mm of gum at the bottom of the layer that
connects the gum to the paper, that matters the most. So the difference
between success and failure as far as exposure can be very small. That's
not a very good answer, but something to think about.
kt