Re: GUM TESTING/CLEARING

kateb@paradise.net.nz
Date: 07/16/03-06:31:10 PM Z

Quoting The Painted Horse <paintedhorse@in-tch.com>:

> Kerik,
> Yes. They were dried for 4 days before I attempted to clear them.
> Funny thing is, is that they were made with the same print that cleared
> fine. All from the same batch of gum and all from the same day of sun
> exposure, same time etc.
>
> Bill-

Hi Bill, yes it seems strange but when I first started gum printing I had major
variations between prints exposed the sme day same time same batch of gum/amm
di, BUT......I've read that this is a feature of gum prints, no two ever the
same! However it is disappointing when your prints wash right off the paper.
For me, it was always that I'd underexposed, and it can also be related to the
thickness of the coating. Unless you're applying a measured coat of emulsion
with a rod in a defined paper area, you're always going to get a variation -
this could make a slight and undetectable difference to exposure time, with the
result that some prints will not expose as well as others. If the coat's too
thick, it will just wash off because the gum next to the paper surface won't
have received enough light to harden. Of course if you have a thicker emulsion
layer there will be more pigment (physically)in the thicker coat than in the
thinner one - if you see what I mean.

Kate