Re: American Annual of Photography 1929 re Fresson

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/16/03-07:28:56 PM Z

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 Grafist@aol.com wrote:

> To All Fresson Info Searchers,
> Luis Nadeau in his excellent book " Gum Dichromate, and other Direct
> Carbon Processes" mentions the work of Charles W. Miller as refered to by
> Charles M. Mouret writing in "The American Annual of Photography" 1929. Apparently
> Miller used Fresson " Arvel" paper which was a derivative of their previous
> product which used sawdust and water to develop the image. This "Arvel " paper
> was sold commercially over a period of approx 15 years prior to World War Two
> and was developed using a weak solution of potassium hypochlorite (household
> bleach) thus doing away with the messy sawdust mixture and the riguorous water
> temperature controls needed to adjust the density of the print.
> Recently, The American Annual of Photography 1929 was mentioned
> on this list. I was wondering if anyone was successful in locating this
> publication? It may contain further clues to the "secrets" of the Fresson Direct
> Carbon processes.

John, I have this book & just skimmed the article... It seems to me not
terrifically different from others of the period... It calls for "fresson
paper," otherwise known as Artigue paper. Development is with sawdust:
"Overexposed prints can also be developed in Javelle water [bleach]
instead of with the aid of sawdust. This prodedure is, however, not always
as simple as it looks,....." etc. etc. And there are some instructions on
Miller's method.

As noted I just skimmed -- if you like, I'll copy and send to you -- tho
I'll add that I found some of the "Artigue" formulas in the various
dictionaries & other sources of the period more promising, since they told
how to make the paper.

cheers,

Judy