Re: Tannic Acid and toning cyanotypes

From: Lynn & Patrick Hilferty (Hilferty@comcast.net)
Date: 07/20/03-08:21:15 PM Z

Bryant Laboratory was a good source for me. It's been a long time since
I bought from them, so your milage may vary.

(510) 526-3141
1101 5th St
  Berkeley, CA 94710

Patrick

On Saturday, July 19, 2003, at 10:26 AM, Darryl Baird wrote:

> Hello to any and all not in Santa Fe,
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive source of tannic acid. In this quest,
> the best I've found is about $13.00 per pound. The cheapest sources
> have been from woodworking suppliers and natural dye suppliers. As
> tannic acid seems to be used extensively in food (beer clarification,
> yum!) and some medicines, I thought I'd find some in the "dirt cheap"
> range.
>
> And no, it is not really as easy as boiling tea. Real tannic acid
> comes from a variety of natural sources... acorns, black walnuts,
> sumac plants. etc. In the fall I'll try to harvest the sumac, which
> grows likes weeds here in Michigan (staghorn variety), and should
> provide another potential source. I want it cheaply, due to the amount
> we'll probably use. At $44 per pound from the usual suspects, I'd like
> to find something more affordable.
>
> While I'm on the topic of cheap. I found a 100% sulfamic acid compound
> at Home Depot -- by Tile Lab, Sulfamic Acid Cleaner for about $8.50 a
> pound versus $44.00.
>
> Cheap is good. Yes, I used this cheap sulfamic acid in an argyrotype
> formula.
>
> -- Darryl

        P & L Graphics
        San Carlos, CA 94070
        E-Mail:<Mailto:plgraphics@comcast.net>
        Web Page: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/plgraphics/
        For voice, fax, data and busy signals: (650) 610-0850