Tannic Acid and toning cyanotypes

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 07/19/03-11:26:28 AM Z

Hello to any and all not in Santa Fe,

I'm looking for an inexpensive source of tannic acid. In this quest, the
best I've found is about $13.00 per pound. The cheapest sources have
been from woodworking suppliers and natural dye suppliers. As tannic
acid seems to be used extensively in food (beer clarification, yum!) and
some medicines, I thought I'd find some in the "dirt cheap" range.

And no, it is not really as easy as boiling tea. Real tannic acid comes
from a variety of natural sources... acorns, black walnuts, sumac
plants. etc. In the fall I'll try to harvest the sumac, which grows
likes weeds here in Michigan (staghorn variety), and should provide
another potential source. I want it cheaply, due to the amount we'll
probably use. At $44 per pound from the usual suspects, I'd like to find
something more affordable.

While I'm on the topic of cheap. I found a 100% sulfamic acid compound
at Home Depot -- by Tile Lab, Sulfamic Acid Cleaner for about $8.50 a
pound versus $44.00.

Cheap is good. Yes, I used this cheap sulfamic acid in an argyrotype
formula.

-- Darryl