Re: American Annual of Photography 1929 re Fresson

Grafist@aol.com
Date: 07/21/03-01:36:22 PM Z

In a message dated 21/07/03 00:33:29 GMT Daylight Time, jseigel@panix.com
writes:

> I do not recall
> anything useful on Fresson, tho as I wrote to the list last year, I found
> some excellent & quite complete-seeming articles (including making
> "Artigue" paper) in a couple of early Dictionaries of Photography.
              The problem with all of these attempts at simulating these
proprietory papers made by famous names is that none of them react to being
developed as directed by their genuine originators altho some do seem to produce
quite acceptable results in their own right. And, according to Nadeau's
research, Artigue went to the grave with his secret coating formula which obviously
differed from that subsequently developed by Fresson. We can only collect
scraps of information which may or may not give you satisfactory results depending
on the persistence in testing, testing, testing. Its what makes the whole
game so interesting but very very time consuming.
                 Happy accidents do sometimes happen.
                         Bon chance. John