large format IR for Sandy and others

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/22/03-08:30:51 AM Z

Here's a "cut and paste" from the pure silver list, from our own Gary Hall
that was just posted!
Chris

Hi folks,

Hate to wake anyone up, since it's seems so long since we've had regular
posts, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I've had our friend Hans
OMann and co. cut the 820 IR film in 12x20 for me.

I didn't want to mention it until I had it and gave it a try. I've only had
success with anything larger than 4x5 in wooden film holders. My plastic
holders leak light not through the dark slides, but through the plastic
that wraps the holder itself. I have had one leak through the felt from the
slide but the sun was right on it, my bad.

I got the wooden holders off ebay. They have to be in pretty good shape,
cause at $8US a sheet for 8x10 and about $20 a sheet for 12x20 I don't want
to take chances or run tests to see if I can ruin expensive film.

I've let the 12x20 sit exposed to full sun in the 12x20 wood film holders
for 15 minutes and not a hint of a problem. (lot's of shadow areas would
show any issues).

So I'm trying to expose and develop for platinum/palladium so I'm
developing it fairly dense with Pyro. It works well, cause if I create a
contrast mask for it, it looks great in silver as well as pt/pd.

Cheers,

Robert Gary Hall