Re: News from APIS

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 07/23/03-06:00:06 AM Z

Chris,

> PS Don Bryant, was this post in keeping with your saying I talk too much?
:)

As long as you don't reveal our secret marriage in Santa Fe talk as much as
you want.

BTW, about APIS.

First of all let me say that Stuart Melvin is a very nice guy and is not
what I would call an egotistical self promoter. He isn't as self serving as
some people in the industry. I'm not a gum printer so I can't critique his
technique but it is my opinion that his method was developed to allow very
translucent layers to be applied to platinum prints giving more control to
the density of the finished print. This seems to require more work depending
on the desired result. Some of the gums shown by others seemed to be dark
and stained by comparison to Stuart's. Sam Wang's prints and images were
wonderful.

David Hoptman showed some wonderful photogravures made with the Solar Plate
materials and we were able to observe him making two prints at Santa Fe
college. Wish I could find someone locally with an etching press!

Russ Young got the short end of the stick in my opinion, he was the last
speaker at APIS and there was no reason to cut his fascinating presentation
short. Although he had given the same presentation in Bath last year it was
new to most of us this year.

Terry King announced on the B&S web board a while back that he would be
revealing a new material for producing inkjet negatives. I never heard
anything about it.

Does anyone have the drop counts for the NA2 chart that Dick Arentz showed?
I didn't take notes in his segment thinking there might be a handout.

Zoe Zimmerman gave a very low tech presentation and I enjoyed her work a
lot. She seems to have distain for recognition or fame and has no interest
in the internet. I think she is a country girl at heart.

The meeting rooms at APIS just didn't work for me. The lighting was lousy
(all fluorescent) and the room acoustics were also poor and the rooms at
times were quite stuffy.

Michael Kravitz had some beautiful platinum prints and the one made from and
Epson 2200 looked great.

Mark Enders inkjet nudes were quite nice also. I can't wait to hear about
his new inkjet invention.

Keith Schreiber's colorizing method for inkjet negs looked promising and I
will give it a go.

Nathan Condon (I hope I got his name correct) showed some really beautiful
platinum prints also.

Don