Re: News from APIS

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/23/03-09:19:33 AM Z

Sorry about Russ Young being cut short. He had his allotted time. Arentz
and Shreiber had problems with the computer projection system and did run
over but Russ had extra time to make up for it. Dr Stulik was making
another presentation at 5:00 and everyone needed to get over to his talk in
another room. It would have been an insult to both Russ Young and Dusan
Stulik to make them compete for an audience.

We were quite proud to have the Getty there. In reality they invited
themselves to speak. Somehow the buzz about APIS had reached the inner
sanctum of the Getty! Stulik is the Senior Scientist of the Getty Research
Institute and we were perhaps a tad overly protective about his second
talk, but hey, this was the Getty!

In my conversations with Dr Stulik he made it quite clear that he and the
Getty want to work very closely with APIS in the future. They view the alt
process workers like Luther Gerlach or Stuart Melvin (among many others,
they are just examples) as valuable resources. Photo historians may know
something of the history but when it comes to the actual process work there
isn't a better resource than someone who actually does it. He views these
people as keepers of the flame and preserving these processes by keeping
them alive. This then leads to the issue of conservation. As Dr Stulik
pointed out, it is hard to identify, conserve, and preserve an image if one
does not know what it is and how it might have been made.

Without going into details I think APIS and alt photo is going to make a
leap forward with this relationship.

--Dick Sullivan