RE: News from APIS

From: Stuart W Melvin (swmelvin@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/23/03-09:44:07 AM Z

OK...I'm on....

It's good to see that there is interest in moving forward with recognizing,
expanding, and redefining the parameters of the gum dichro process. The
philosophical head banging can only accomplish so much tho. Principle put
into practice is so much more valuable. I would love to here from those who
lay down the coats and experience results that may motivate them to move in
directions that have not occurred to myself and others.

The advantage of the "Dry Dichro" may be one of those things that is so
simple that it may not have been defined properly in the APIS presentation.
We all know how hard it can be to think in terms of "day one" when we reach
"day one thousand". Less water makes for a thicker solution of gum being
applied to the paper. Less water translates to less propensity to stain.
More pigment can be added without staining the paper. There are situations
(typically in an early layer of a print) when I find stain to be desirable
and I will add the water necessary to achieve it.

I also want to address the viscosity of the coatings as they relate to the
foam roller. I feel the process of laying down a gum dichro coating may have
been historically designed for the implements used. A brush was applied to
coat the paper. The solution needed to be thin enough to facilitate smooth
coating technique and leave enough time that a fan (brush) could be used to
smooth the coating before it began to dry and set up. These thicker
solutions would be impossible (and you won't hear me say impossible very
often) to coat in a smooth manner with a brush. With the foam
roller.....anyone who has ever painted their home can lay down a seamless
gum coat.

Much success to all,
Stuart