Re: Gum Methods: Zimmerman Re-explained

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/23/03-10:38:51 AM Z

No Joe, not Zimmerman--Berger. Philippe Berger thought of a method of doing
multicoat gums with no development in between coats, and a final development
when all coats have been finished exposing. Zimmerman's method on the B and
S website is entirely different, and uses blotters.

The Berger method first came to light on the B and S web board a number of
months ago in a post by Christian Nze. There was no literature on the
method except that Philippe has written a book, and if you are lucky enough
to read French (I am) you can order it from him directly. He is on this
list as of now.

The funny thing is that I was awaiting the book and it took so long to get
to me that I decided to experiment with what I "thought" was the process. I
did multicoat gums with multicolors and watercolor pigment. Then the book
came, and Berger's method employs *monochrome inks* not multicolor and gums.
Berger is now experimenting with multicolor gums and he also has written
extensively on a few other processes. Check out his website.

Chris