Re: Liquid light questions

From: Yu rei (nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp)
Date: 07/23/03-10:31:27 AM Z

 --- Nigel Miller

To my:
I am not sure, are these toners acidic ?

You wrote:
> Ryuki Suzuki has said that both the toners and Lith
> developer are very
> Alkaline and that this is undoing the hardening
> action.

While I do not feel it is necessary to use any hardener,
(but follow Liam's suggestion about keeping the
temperature cool...(20 deg.C., or not above about 24 in
any case) I agree with Ryuji that the gelatin in the
emulsion is swelling. This could possibly be counteracted
not with hardeners, but with any inoculus salt.

Anyway, Try to keep the pH as similiar as possible: Try
using a less alkaline toner, and or a more alkaline fixer.

Ryuki has suggested
> a different type of hardener (Para formaldehyde)
> which we shall try. I will
> let you know the results.

I belive that the Black Magic hardener is
glutaraldehyde... not paraformaldehyde.

paraformaldehyde is carcinogenic and very toxic,
glutaraldehyde is also toxic.

Try to to get along without these chemicals.

Ray