Re: Liquid light questions

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 07/23/03-01:05:38 PM Z

From: Yu rei <nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp>
Subject: Re: Liquid light questions
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:31:27 +0900 (JST)

> While I do not feel it is necessary to use any hardener,

I think pre-made and bottled emulsions should need hardening at some
point for reliable results. But suggestion to keep temp low is also a
good one. However, in toning process, one would often have to go to a
high temperature to get the desired tone shift.

> Anyway, Try to keep the pH as similiar as possible: Try
> using a less alkaline toner, and or a more alkaline fixer.

THis is ideal but not very possible. Those toners have to be high pH
or polysulfide decomposes giving off smelly hydrogen sulfide gas. Also
polysulfide toners not alkaline enough will stain prints. This and
other toners would present some hue shift as you change the pH
dramatically low, if not more serious problems like the case of
polysulfide.

> I belive that the Black Magic hardener is
> glutaraldehyde... not paraformaldehyde.

That's right, I was confused at this.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)