FW: News from APIS

From: Stuart W Melvin (swmelvin@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/23/03-08:23:31 PM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart W Melvin [mailto:swmelvin@earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 11:28 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: RE: News from APIS

A couple clarifications,

I tend to err on the side of underexposure only on later coatings of the
first printings of an image. My first print could be viewed as a work print
in that sense. Adjustments are made on successive printings to come closer
to the "bulls eye" where exposure is concerned. If one is truly honest with
oneself, every print is a work print in the sense that every print teaches
one something that can be applied at a later time if they are observant.

"Dry Dichro" allows for any percentage value (thus any contrast level) to be
applied to a given coating. We are all using "Dry Dichro". We simply add
water to the dichro to end with a stock solution of a given percentage. Once
the coating is dried a given amount of dichro exists. Try laying down a
"1.5%" coat made of 10ml Gum / 1.5gms Potassium Dichro / pigment / muck. You
will see a very hard line high contrast result that certainly could not be
achieved with a 30% Ammonium Dichro solution "dry" OR "saturated". The
latitude of the variables is what determines the amount of artistic license
one possesses. Choice is freedom. One or two bottles of saturated solution
at one or two percentage levels on the shelf dose not facilitate much
choice.

BTW.....I also am mesmerized by Sam's work......Truly stunning!

Also, a quick mention of the fact that most comments to date are intended to
facilitate an ease of operation for those new to the Dichro process.
Employing creative discretion is (as Christina touches on) a life long
journey. If I feel an image calls for me to incorporate a look of wet gum
and pigment dripping down the image, I will pull the image from the
developing bath "early" enough to achieve it. I don't have aesthetic
"rules". The Dichro process DOES have physical "rules" tho. Knowledge of
those physical "rules" = more "fun".

Stuart